- For use on exposed rail track only. Skid will not lie flat on rail that is encased in pavement.
- For rail sizes 90 to 155 lbs/yd
- For use on flat track only. Do not use on grades, as skid may not be able to hold the load.
- Rail surface must be clean. Greasy rail can cause a skid to slide too freely.
- Minimum wheel diameter 28”.
- All workers and bystanders must stand well clear of sides and front of railcar or locomotive when wheels are mounting skids. Wheel pressure can suddenly “squeeze” a skid out from under with great force.
- Never use rail skids if one end of the railcar or locomotive is lifted up for inspection or repair. All wheels must remain on the rails.
- Replace skid if tongue is broken or curled.
Special Caution for Chocking Railcars
Roll car slowly up on the skid. Apply car brakes. It may be necessary to install a steel wheel chock at the other end of the car, depending on track conditions.